Monday, March 21, 2011

Samuel Adams Imperial Double Bock

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

4.1/5

AROMA
8/10 APPEARANCE 4/5 TASTE 8/10 PALATE 4/5 OVERALL 17/20

12 ounce bottle. Pours slightly hazy dark red color with a 2 finger light tan head with good retention. Aromas of a lot of toffee, caramel, molasses, with some dark fruits, toasted malt, and alcohol. The aromas are fairly strong, and it actually reminds me of a few barley wines I have had before. Taste of caramel, molasses, vanilla, and some dark fruits; with toast and some very slight alcohol taste on the palate. The alcohol taste did not detract very much from the overall taste and actually fit in pretty well. Very malty flavor with very little bitterness. The sweet flavors linger for a decent period of time after the finish. There is also a significant amount of alcohol warming after the finish. Medium carbonation and full body. Very smooth drinking for it’s body, but is also quite a sipper and should be enjoyed slowly. Overall I was pretty impressed with this. I was not sure what to expect after my bad experience with Imperial White, but this is a really smooth drinking Imperial brew, and has a lot of flavor.

This one was sitting in my fridge for quite some time, so I decided to finally get it out. I was not sure what to expect because I had gotten a bad bottle of Imperial White at the same store I purchased this one, but it turned out just fine. I will probably get the Imperial Stout eventually, and they have also recently released an Imperial Series Wee Heavy recently, but I have not seen it yet. I also have to note that the bottle pictured is the old label style for imperial series. They have recently changed the bottle and packaging design.

No comments:

Post a Comment