Thursday, April 7, 2011

Second Batch, DIPA

I bottled my chocolate stout last week, it tasted a little weird, but was fairly smooth uncarbonated. I will see how it turns out after bottle conditioning. The PET bottles are fairly firm now and the yeast is chilling out on the bottom of the bottles now. I batch primed it in a 3 gallon water dispenser I found around the house. I tried to siphon it with a cheap siphon but it didn't work so well, so I probably aerated it a small amount in transfer of the rest. There was A LOT of sediment in the bottom of the fermenter. Some probably got into the bottling, but I am not too worried right now. It is my first batch and all.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

the 1 liter PET bottles capped up. I lost 1 cap so I stole a diet Mtn Dew cap off my a 20 oz bottle and it seemed to work fine at keeping it airtight
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

I will update on the results of the chocolate dry stout very soon(within the next week)

I went to my local Homebrew Supply this week and got a ton of supplies. I got all the ingredients for the porter, plus a 1 stage bucket fermenter kit with a bottling bucket and all the accessories(floating thermometer, bottling spigot, capper etc) and a wort chiller. I will be brewing it outside on a turkey fryer as it will be my first 5 gal batch. I will be capping regular 12 and 22 ounce bottles in the future.

Onto the DIPA. I went to my Homebrew supply a couple weeks ago and they said that Amarillo hops were unavailable everywhere now, so I changed all flavor and aroma hops to cascades, and changed the recipe a tad.


Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 2.20 gal
Boil Size: 1.25 gal
Estimated OG: 1.086 SG
Estimated Color: 13.7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 101.1 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: - %
Boil Time: 65 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
1.55 lb Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 29.0 %
3.30 lb Amber Liquid Extract (12.5 SRM) Extract 61.7 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 9.3 %
1.00 oz Centennial [9.60%] (60 min) Hops 71.0 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.40%] (30 min) Hops 15.3 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.40%] (15 min) Hops 9.9 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.40%] (5 min) Hops 4.0 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.40%] (1 min) Hops 0.9 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [5.40%] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
0.50 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) 2000 mL Starter

Mash Schedule: None
Total Grain Weight: 0.50 lb
----------------------------

Notes:
------
Amber Extract added after boil.

I made my starter in a sanitized gallon distilled water jug for this one, and I bought a gallon glass jug at the homebrew supply this week for the porter starter.

So I steeped the grains in 2 qt of water as close to 155 as I could for 30 minutes. I used a digital stick thermometer to keep track as I was raising the water temp.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

I then sparged the grain over a strainer with 1 qt of 187 degree water to finish it off. and added the rest of the water to begin my boil, and added the X-light DME before bringing it to the boil.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

I then brought it to a boil, and added my 1 oz of Centennial, which then caused some massive boil activity. I have watched quite a few Youtube videos on brewing lately, and one channel, which was "terpsichoreankid", suggested keeping a water spray bottle close by to tame the break. A fantastic tip, because It happened 3 times tonight. 2 in my boil, and once in my boil for my starter for the porter.

After I added Centennials, and the boil calmed down after spraying with water:
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

After I added the last Cascade addition at 1 min, it went really crazy
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

After all that settled down I added the LME to finish off and brought it to a brief boil to sanitize. I also added hot water to remove most of the extract from the 3.3 lb can. Earlier tonight, I decanted the gallon jug of the wort and left some inside to keep the yeast in suspension to pour out. I got my OG reading which was 1.084 at 76.4F.(my hydrometer from Homebrew supply only goes to 1.080 so I estimated) I did a calculation online to see the real reading, as my Hydrometer is calibrated at 70F. It came out to 1.085. Super close as the Beersmith calcs say I should have 1.086!

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

I chilled my batch in the sink with ice and cold water, changing the water a few times, and then pouring the wort into the fermenter that had cold water over a wire strainer to remove most of the hop particles. I had to clean the strainer 4 times to finish the pour! I am going to rack this next week to a 3 gallon Better bottle secondary onto 1 ounce of cascades for dry hopping.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

I can't wait to see how this turns out, I kept a critical eye on sanitation after the boil, so I should be alright. The porter brew will be completed this weekend as I plan to. The recipe is:

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Wedding Porter
Brewer: Spak
Asst Brewer:
Style: Robust Porter
TYPE: Extract
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 6.74 gal
Estimated OG: 1.065 SG
Estimated Color: 37.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 42.7 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: - %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
6.00 lb Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 58.5 %
2.00 lb Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 19.5 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 9.8 %
0.50 lb Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM) Grain 4.9 %
0.50 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 4.9 %
0.25 lb Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 2.4 %
1.00 oz Northern Brewer [8.50%] (60 min) Hops 29.0 IBU
0.50 oz Fuggles [4.50%] (30 min) Hops 5.9 IBU
0.50 oz Williamette [5.50%] (15 min) Hops 4.7 IBU
0.50 oz Fuggles [4.50%] (10 min) Hops 2.8 IBU
0.50 oz Williamette [5.50%] (1 min) Hops 0.4 IBU
1 Pkgs English Ale (White Labs #WLP002) Yeast-Ale, 3000ml starter

Mash Schedule: None
Total Grain Weight: 2.25 lb
----------------------------

Notes:
------
Add light DME after boil


The starter is done tonight:
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment