Thursday, December 22, 2011

New Belgium 1554 Enlightened Black Ale

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

3.6/5

AROMA
7/10 APPEARANCE 4/5 TASTE 7/10 PALATE 4/5 OVERALL 14/20

12 ounce bottle into pint glass, best by Feb 19, 2012. Pours crystal clear dark reddish brown color with a nice 2 finger dense khaki head with great retention that reduces to a nice cap that lingers. Some decent lacing clings to the glass as well. Aromas of big caramel, toasted malt, chocolate, light coffee, spicy hops, and light biscuit. Some nice and well balanced aromas with good strength. Taste of caramel, biscuit, toasted malt, light chocolate, spicy hops, and malty sweetness. No bitterness; with lingering notes of light chocolate, caramel, and toasted malts on the finish for a bit. Finish is a lot drier than I was expecting it to be, and the flavors aren’t very robust. Medium carbonation and body; with a lightly creamy and very smooth mouthfeel. No alcohol noticed other than a slight warming after the finish. This is extremely drinkable. Overall a nice beer, but pretty lack luster in my opinion. When I read it was a black ale, I was expecting a much more robust flavor and body.

I was expecting much more from this. I was expecting "Black IPA" when I read the label. Not as robust as I would have hoped. I can see the mass appeal of it though.

No comments:

Post a Comment